Name: The name of this organization shall be the Fresno Chess Club.
Purposes: The purposes of the club are:
A. To provide instruction, entertainment, and social life in chess for its members.
B. To promote the popularity of chess.
C. To enable its members to play chess.
D. To conduct tournaments, matches, and other forms of chess competition.
E. To obtain a grant for the purposes of reaching out to the school districts in the Fresno community who do not already have the subject of chess integrated into their scholastic curriculum.
A. Any person may become a member of the Club upon payment of the annual dues.
B. In the event that any member of the Club should be guilty of conduct which in the
judgment of three-fourths of the membership shall bring the game of chess into
disrepute, his membership may be revoked.
A. The officers of the Club shall be President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasure, Tournament Director, and Tournament Organizer, to be elected to a term of one year by majority approval of the members present at the annual business meeting. The minimum voting age of members shall be 13 years of age.
B. Should a vacancy occur between elections, it shall be filled by the majority vote of the members at a meeting held within one month after the vacancy has occurred.
C. The Club shall be affiliated with the United States Chess Federation (USCF) in accordance with the conditions specified by the said Federation.
Duties of Officers:
A. The President shall:
1. Preside at all business meetings of the Club.
2. Appoint a Publicity Director and any other administrative officer the Club
may deem necessary;
3. Appoint all committees.
B. The Vice President shall:
1. Assist the President:
2. Preside at all business meetings in the absence of the President.
C. The Secretary shall:
1. Keep the minutes of all business meetings;
2. Carry on the correspondence of the Club;
3. Send notices of Club tournaments to the members.
D. The Treasurer shall:
1. Collect all authorized dues;
2. Deposit all funds received by him/her in a bank designated by the Club.
3. Make disbursements as authorized by the President;
4. Prepare a financial statement for the regular business meeting in January.
E. The Tournament Director shall:
1. Arrange and direct tournaments conducted by the Club;
2. Cause the results of the local tournaments to be published in the local
3. Report to the USCF the results of all rated tournaments which the
F. The Tournament Organizer shall:
1. Organize tournaments conducted by the Club;
2. Report the details of these tournaments to the Club in advance of the
Article VI(Members voted dues increase effective February 1, 2009)
Dues: The annual dues for membership in the Club, unless otherwise established at a business meeting, shall be as follows:
A. $40 for married couples (family)
B. $25 for a man (Fresno)
C. $15 for a woman, college student, minor (under 18 years), and non-resident
(Outside Fresno County)
D. No part of the net earnings of the Club shall inure to the benefit of, or be
distributable to its members of officers or other private persons, except to pay reasonable
compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in
furtherance of the purposes set forth in Article II.
Meetings: Regular meetings of the members shall beheld throughout each year on
such day and such place as shall be decided upon by the membership.
A. Annual business meetings, in the month of January.
B. Other business meetings, including special meetings, shall be called by the President as necessary. Insofar as possible, the business meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the Robert's Rules of Order.
A. Upon dissolution of the Club, assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes
within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for public purpose.
A. This constitution may be changed or amended by a two-thirds vote of the membership.
- As amended at the Business Meeting January 9, 2009 -